Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Distracted, But Determined!


DISTRACTED BUT DETERMINED
Note: "Distractions can seem important at the time, although later, you realize that it was what was around it, that  was important!"

This title came to me as a result of being on a recent prayer line call. Every now and then, there is a distracting static sound due to the sensitivity of the line, and we are forced to continue our conference call, regardless of the irritation that it is causing. The first thing that comes to mind would be to end the call and try again right? Well, most of the time, we press through the call no matter what! The reason? Well, it is due to our determination to accomplish what we have been called to do.
Isn't it just like that in life? All of the many distractions that arise when we are trying to get something of importance done? or just when we want to focus on something? It reminds me of a movie scene, I believe it was Rush Hour,where a young woman on the force was in training to disarm bombs. With sweat pouring down her face, she nervously tried to figure out which wire to cut and was very focused upon the task before her; However, when her silly co-star saw her determination, he took his fist and pounded on the observation window, causing her to jump and ultimately cut the wrong wire, causing the mock bomb to explode in her face! When the trainer, reprimanded her for losing focus, she told him that her failure was due to the fact that she had been distracted! Can you imagine, the consequence, if she had been in a real life situation?

God wants us to know, that sometimes there will be distractions; some small, and some great; but whatever the distraction, He wants you and I to remain focused on HIM!  Sometimes distractions are aimed directly at us, and at other times, they are just ordinary distractions, but we must be sure not to allow them to deter us from being focused and alert on what God has called us to do! Some distractions are sent to check your determination level, and some are sent to measure your strength or sensitivity towards something! The one thing that is for certain, is that distractions can bring us either to a place of defeat or to a place  of determination, depending on our response to them. And by the way, in real life, a bomb expert must have a very high tolerance level for distractions! Much like us as believers. They must learn to "master" the task of  "determination over distraction" ....it could be a matter of life or death!  So, be determined today! that come what may, distractions will NOT overpower your focus! Focus on God's promises to you and what He has called you to and stare distractions in the face, with eyes of DETERMINATION!!!

James 1:12 says, "Blessed is the man who perseveres under trials, because, when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life, that God has promised to those who love him."

4 comments:

  1. "What has the enemy distracted you from, so far in 2012? And how do you plan on turning that distraction into DETERMINATION?" ....I'd like to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michele, this is an profound word. I was so easily distracted sometimes that I couldn't maintain a train of thought for more than a minute because of adult onset ADHD. Kids, Husband, school, friends, TV, internet; All things I enjoy that can easily become distraction from my kingdom purpose. I have to rely on the Holy Spirit to speak to me and move only when directed. I was forced to accept that I couldn't do anything without His guidance. I often find myself asking, "Right or Left, Lord?" 20-30 times a day. Surprisingly to some, I like it that way. When I don't hear His voice right away sometimes and I get in my flesh and don't wait on the Lord, I end up in a world of trouble. I'm not ashamed to say, "I need thee every hour(really every minute), I need thee". I can not make a wise step without His guidance. Thank you, Jesus, for ordering my every step so that I will not lose focus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right? Our pastor spoke on "from strength to strength"...and how we can not do anything in our own power! and when we rely on anything or anyone else...we fail! thanks for sharing!

      Delete